Sunday, March 29, 2009

Amy Jackson's Experience

Posted by Marcus Williamson at 9:21 PM
So today was THE DAY and by THE DAY, I mean the day we were set to visit Elevation Church in Charlotte, NC (we went to the Butler Campus, by the way). I've been ready for this trip for a few months now, ever since Marcus indicated that he wanted to get a group together to go and hear Steven Furtick speak. I've been listening to Pastor Steven's podcasts for the last two months or so, mostly on my roadtrips home and to visit friends and seminaries. By far, my favorite complete sermon I have heard is "THE DIP"--it's pretty recent, so you should check it out! Here are some thoughts about my first experience at Elevation.

1. This was my first visit to this type of church--a church "plant", at least. I've been to some church plants, but none on this scale. The church plants I have visited were...interesting. this, however, was completely different. From the time we drove onto the campus and parked, to even leaving, I felt completely normal there and welcomed warmly by strangers. They have a GREAT atmosphere and one that makes visitors feel comfortable, not overwhelmed (the church plants I have visited were not able to achieve this.

2. There is something GENUINE and REAL about what goes on in this house of God. now, we did meet in a high school auditorium--but what I experienced today was nothing less than a corporate worship experience, and one of higher quality and caliber than most churches I have visited in the past. The lights, music, and flashly graphics are cool, but you have to have the stuff to back it up--and they did! Everything seemed REAL--from the band, to the greeters, to those who welcomed us at the beginning of the service. it didn't seem rehearsed, fake, or pre-programmed, and i loved it! ELEVATION IS AUTHENTIC, yall.

3. So yeah, we went to hear Steven Furtick speak. and we didn't get to...but this isn't a bad thing! Instead, we were blessed to be able to hear Craig Groeschel, author of "IT" and pastor of Lifechurch.tv, speak on "Practical Atheism." I'm still processing his sermon, but it was definitely convicting...so many moments in my life I find myself serving as a "part-time Christian" because I'm so busy with the work of the "church"--be it church, BCM, etc. I want to live like i have the spirit who raised Jesus from the dead IN me! As one of my favorite songs from Big Daddy Weave explains, "I wonder what life would be like if we let Jesus live through you and me."

*It was also okay that we didn't hear Pastor Steven speak because that gives us another reason to go back.

So, this is what I think about Elevation, as jumbled as it may be....for more on my thoughts about "Practical Atheism," check out my blog later on in the week...

www.amymichelle37.b
logspot.com!

ADIOS!

Amy

0 comments on "Amy Jackson's Experience"

Post a Comment